Welcome!

I have started this blog with the idea to share my recipes that Im constantly e-mailing my friends and family. I think it will be grand to have this area to share my thoughts, my adventures in the kitchen, and my failures. I currently have a small baking/catering business that I run out of my home. I hope that one day, by doing the things I love, can expand into a shop- perhaps a pie shop. I am also studying for a BS in nutritional biology, to learn more about the foods we put into our bodies. I want to incorporate that knowledge with my love of cooking and health. Even though baking sweet treats is something I love to do, there will be a lot of recipes that are carb free, fat free and gluten free. I also like to garden, sew, and crochet, and I enjoy doing so with a martini in my hand and wearing a dress and high heels. I know I am a piece of work, but for all of you that know me-I'm silly, I love to cook, I mock out of love, and I'm excited to share my clumsy, funny, sightly tipsy (at times) adventures with you! Cawww!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Skinny Bitch Meal: Bird pecking, nothing naughty granola.

A couple of friends have asked for the granola recipe that I used yesterday when I had all of that drama dropping the lb of nuts on the kitchen floor.  I was severely mocked on facebook for getting hot and bothered in 90 degree weather, cooking granola, dropping nuts, crushing them into carpet with high heel, cant work the fancy vacuum..ect..  So anyway for you no gluten eating, anti-carb, vegan, seed pecking punks, this is a very good granola that is low in fat and low in carbs.  And it actually tastes good.  I had some in a non-fat Greek yogurt today, and was satisfied.

Bird pecking, nothing naughty granola
 Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees
2 cups steel cut rolled oats
2 cups chopped raw unsalted walnuts
1 cup chopped raw unsalted pecans
2 cups slivered raw unsalted almonds
1 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
2 cups raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
1/3 cup almond butter
2 TBL spoon cinnamon
1 cup dried fruit (if you dare, it has more carbs)
1 TBL spoon sea salt

  • Put all of this in a bowl and mix it up.  I used my hands. 
  • Spread the mixture out in one layer on a cookie sheet or in shallow pans, if its too thick, it wont get crispy.
  • Bake for 1 hour and stir it up half way through.
  • Let cool completely, then store in a dry place-like a jar.  All of you psychos that cant throw away a jar- here is your big chance to utilize one.
  • YUM!  Its good and way more low cal than the stuff at the store, and if you do not like a certain nut, then use whatever ones you want!  (cashews are naughty though:)

4 comments:

  1. *I used gluten free oats in this, but do what u want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a jar psycho.....its hard to throw out a perfectly good jar! Love you long one xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. chuckle on....I have all of these ingredients here! I shall make it tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason is a jar masked murder too, and get so excited when I use one, so knock your self out! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete